Thursday 28 May 2015

Hag stones

I have been subconciously collecting stones with holes for many years. They often end up at the end of a piece of string or in a hanging collection of found objects. Most of my Uk collection stayed there as they were too difficult to transport. I have since started a new and improved collection here on Gozo ! In East Anglia they are called hag stones and they tend to be flint as that is the natural and prevalent glacial stone. Hag stones were/are believed to have magical powers such as protection against eye diseases or evil charms, preventing nightmares, curing whooping cough and the recovery from snakebite. They are believed to enable the ability to see through fairy or witch disguises and traps if looked at through the middle of the stone !   Well I haven't thought too much about their magical powers but like a Zen enso they certainly have a medatative quality and I feel compelled to pick them up.


These lovely stones have prompted a series of sketchbook experimental pages and scribbles this week, some of which may lend themselves to a larger work.






Words over words, words crossed out, words sometimes confuse and sometimes actions speak louder than words.

2 comments:

  1. I am a stone collector too but I can't think when I've ever found a stone with a hole. Love these. Also am very drawn to your writing over writing. The one with the lines reminds me of the lines of the i ching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you find one stone with a hole they suddenly start appearing everywhere !

    ReplyDelete